Friday, May 15, 2009

Walrus Boy

"In the wee small hours of the morning,
When the whole wide world is fast asleep,
You lie awake, and you think about the girl,
And never, ever think of counting sheep."

I wrote last night, despite my very late hour of homecoming, which accounts for the dreadfulness of the writing. (That is the reason. Shut up.)

However, I had become a permanent installation on my bed by that time, so coming to the computer to type this up was definitely out of the question.

I could go on, but I know that I am now only stalling, because this stupid poem I have stupidly written is really very stupid. This post and the last may give out the false impression that I write a great deal about disappointed love, or romance, or that I am simply very emo, but this is not the case! Ok, I'm a little emo. But in all seriousness, I have experienced one great love in my life (am still experiencing it, will probably never get over it), and he. Well. You know how it goes.

He is back in town, and I saw him last night, and here is the result.

We madly raved of many things,
Of supers, sex, and Culper Rings.
You roller-skated up and down
The street, and then I pulled a frown.
"It's late," I said. "I have to go."
You never liked to be alone.
There's things I cannot say to you,
Like, "No, goodnight, I'm feeling blue."
You changed your clothes without a care,
Conversing wildly with the air:
Time traveling possibilities,
And alternate realities.
I could not find a thing to say -
My mind was very far away.
There's got to be a plane on which
There's been a mercy-driven switch,
Where love has swept up both of us -
A plane on which there is an us.

Feedback is appreciated, naturally. But, please, I am fully aware it's not very good. I'm not much for rhyming, really. I just thought of the first couplet and had to continue, as it made me think of a combination of "The Walrus and the Carpenter" and "Nature Boy." Does that need explaining?

"'The time has come,' the Walrus said,
'To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--'"

"And while we spoke of many things,
Fools and kings,
This he said to me,
'The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love, and be loved in return.'"

0 comments: